CONFERENCE ACTIVITY PROVIDER
KEY MESSAGES FROM YOUR CONFERENCE ACTIVITY.
- Don’t make yourself a target by advertising that you are carrying expensive items
- Try to avoid physical contact by using de-escalation techniques. Talk your way out of the scenario.
- Get your ‘fence’ up straight away
- Remember C.A.L.M. (see below).
PHYSICAL EFFECTS OF EXTREME PRESSURE
- Huge adrenaline dump.
- Field of vision narrows - tunnel vision. May be difficult to make appropriate decisions.
- Reduction of fine motor skills - loss of co-ordination.
- Loss of speech, shaky knees & voice, shrinking posture.
- Lose control of bladder, clammy hands, dry mouth.
- Fight, flight or freeze - you never really know until it happens.
C . A . L . M
COMPOSURE - Breath, remain calm take a second to think. Put up your fence
ALERT - Look around to identify threats and exits points.
LANGUAGE - Use verbal de-escalation phrases to defuse the situation
MOVEMENT - Keep your fence up. Physical contact / arm drag as last resort. Position yourself so that you can exit the area easily & quickly.